[Eg-oversight-board] Election process, officer elections, and executive sessions

Grace Dunbar gdunbar at esilibrary.com
Mon Mar 21 18:15:37 EDT 2016

Hi Tim,
Thanks for the input!
I was clearly unclear.  :)
I think that our current structure of having the Board vote in its own
officers is fine.  Though if someone has a compelling argument for having
the community vote on officers I'd be happy to discuss it.  The issue that
has been bothering me is that we generally elect officers in a voice vote
at a tiring and possible stressful conference.  From everything I've
researched, nominations followed by voice vote are generally not
recommended for officer elections as it puts people in an awkward position
of saying, "Golly,Bob sure is great, but I think I'd do a better job than
he will at being Supreme Commander..."  and worse, we put them on the spot
in an in-person meeting to do it.

So, I think that my suggestion should be taken as keeping the voting for
Board members to the Board, but addressing the election time frame to a.)
remove it from the in-person EG conference meeting thus the immediate voice
vote and b.) allowing for a more thoughtful and considered approach to
elections.  Also, it would free up most of the in person meeting for other
issues.

Thanks!
Grace

gdunbar at esilibrary.com