[Eg-oversight-board] Press release for 2.10 release

Grace Dunbar gdunbar at esilibrary.com
Tue Mar 22 10:49:36 EDT 2016

Hi Kathy,
Overall I think that it looks very good and I appreciate you taking it on.
The thing that strikes me about our press releases is that they're
informative but not as "market-y" as our competitors.  (For example, a III
Sierra Press Release:
https://www.iii.com/news-events/pr/innovative-delivers-powerful-new-features-sierra-release-21)
 My absolute favorite thing in that press release is this statement,
"According to surveys completed by Innovative partner libraries, providing
open architecture is a top priority. As a result, Sierra Release 2.1
increases the simplicity of these enterprise-wide integrations across the
Innovative partner network."

Do you see how the wording makes it seem like they're being responsive to
their users' desires to have "open architecture" but they actually don't
address it at all?  Worse, the "Innovative partner network." doesn't sound
very open at all.   But people will remember the words and they're left
with a general feeling that Sierra is "open" and "powerful" because those
are the words that are used.

When I read our press release I was left with the sense that Evergreen's
privacy and security was somehow lacking prior to this release... which
isn't true.  I'd like to suggest we consider focusing on more "marketing"
language in our press releases and tooting Evergreen's horn a bit more.

So, maybe the title is Evergreen Release 2.10 Takes Security to
Unparalleled Levels

Protecting patron privacy in modern ILSs is something that requires
vigilance and evolution.
Evergreen, which has long taken various technical measures to protect patron
privacy, has now added several additional layers of encryption to user
passwords.

This release also unveils online circulation and cataloging for beta
testing.  This marks the mid-way point of the transition of Evergreen to a
web-based ILS which will be delivered seamlessly to staff via the browser
of their choice.  The web client will allow staff the freedom to perform
their work wherever their job takes them, on a desktop, tablet, or phone on
any OS.

Evergreen continues to be the leading ILS for consortia and delivers local
flexibility and granularity of policies that no other software can match.
Evergreen 2.10 maintains robust performance on its open PostgreSQL database
and continues to deliver the most interoperability for libraries via its
truly open APIs.

Etc. etc. You get my point.
Thoughts?
Grace

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 2:16 PM, Andrea Buntz Neiman <aneiman at kent.lib.md.us
> wrote:

> Looks great, thank you Kathy!
>
> A.
>

> Andrea Buntz Neiman, MLS
> Librarian II, Public Services
> Kent County Public Library
> 408 High Street
> Chestertown, MD 21620410-778-3636 x2115www.kentcountylibrary.org
>
> On 3/21/2016 1:27 PM, Yamil Suarez wrote:
>

> Me too,
> Yamil
>

> --------------------------------
>
> Yamil Suarez, MCS