[Eg-oversight-board] Proposed amendment to EOB meeting minutes

Chris Sharp csharp at georgialibraries.org
Wed May 11 12:27:29 EDT 2016

Hi all,

I'm trying not to get pulled into this, having happily ended my tenure on
the EOB, but since I was the recording secretary for the meeting, and my
minutes are being called out here, I feel I have to respond.

Here is my issue with accuracy in the words of the record: I recall
> Tanya using the phrase "giving direction" with regard to "a vendor"
> but I don't recall her using the phrase "point of contact."  That
> difference between my recollection and the minutes as recorded by the
> secretary is concerning because the latter implies more specificity
> than the former.  In other words, what Chris typed implies Tanya was
> talking specifically about an official conference contact, but what I
> recall her actually saying implies no such thing, only that she was
> receiving direction.  Her clarification to several people suggests
> Chris' typing implies more meaning that was actually provided by
> Tanya, but the intent is materially beside the point of whether the
> words typed match the words spoken.  I don't believe they do.  They
> are, quite obviously, not a direct transcription of what Tanya said,

which means they were interpreted by Chris before being recorded.

The unedited-for-wiki Google doc version of the minutes has the following
for the wording in question:

   -

      Sponsorships
      - Conflict of interest to have a point of contact be a vendor

To my recollection, Tanya was listing off the issues she wanted to talk
about, and she said "Sponsorships", then said, more or less verbatim as
written, the bullet point above.  My goal at the time was to capture as
faithfully as possible the wording that Tanya used, so I would be surprised
if what she said was too far off from that.

Having said that, I am a human being prone to the same mistakes as everyone
else, and the Board is always given a chance to review and correct meeting
minutes at the following meeting.

I've said my peace here.  How you handle the wording of the minutes is up
to the Board.

--
Chris Sharp
PINES System Administrator