[Eg-oversight-board] Statement of Clarification

Chris Sharp csharp at georgialibraries.org
Wed May 18 09:30:32 EDT 2016

Grace,

That's actually not true.  The stated role of the Representative to the
> Conservancy is to "instruct the conservancy on the project's behalf".  The
> role is for that person to communicate to the SFC *as directed by the
> EOB.*

You may recall that I volunteered to become the SFC/EOB Representative as a
result of a discussion at the May 14, 2015 meeting in Hood River about
problems with communications between Evergreen Conference planning
committees, sponsors, and the Software Freedom Conservancy.  The minutes
from that meeting
<http://wiki.evergreen-ils.org/doku.php?id=governance:minutes:2015-05-14>*
say:

Representative to SFC Role:

>    - mouthpiece of the Board to Conservancy
>    - resource in the case of friction
>
> My actions around this year's conference planning committee regarding
communications between the SFC and sponsors have been in the spirit of that
second stating goal.  No one in the meeting at that time objected to that,
and since I helped to resolve the issue brought to my attention in a way
that did not engender further ill-will, I consider it a success.  If the
Board wants to change the expectations of or responsibilities for that
role, that's entirely up to the Board.

*Audio for the May 14, 2015 meeting was recorded, but I was instructed by
the then Board Chair to refrain from posting the recording publicly.  I
have access to the recording and would be happy to provide it to any Board
member who asks.

Thanks,

Chris

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 9:01 AM, Grace Dunbar <gdunbar at esilibrary.com>
wrote:

> Hi Terran,
>
> On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 5:47 PM, Terran McCanna <
> tmccanna at georgialibraries.org> wrote:
>
>> For the benefit of the record, I would like to add two things to this
>> message that I feel were obfuscated:

>> Sharp, that Tanya had been going to him privately to resolve issues for the
>> conference and to deal with the SFC, excluding the conference committee
>> altogether.<<
>>
>> Chris Sharp was the designated liaison to the SFC at the time. The role
>> of SFC liaison is to facilitate communication between the SFC and other
>> parties that have to work with the SFC.
>>

> That's actually not true.  The stated role of the Representative to the
> Conservancy is to "instruct the conservancy on the project's behalf".  The
> role is for that person to communicate to the SFC *as directed by the
> EOB.*

>> included the PINES sponsorship issues or anything regarding the Emerald
>> Data sponsorships, I would point out that there is a potential conflict of
>> interest in that involvement since GPLS is Chris’ employer and Emerald Data
>> is their vendor.<<
>>
>> Grace neglected to mention that GPLS also has a current contract with
>> Equinox. Equinox is as much "our" vendor as Emerald is.
>>

> I think you're missing the point.  If the conference host felt it was a
> conflict of interest for me to be involved in sponsorship issues simply
> because I work for a competing vendor, I fail to see how it is NOT also a
> conflict of interest for someone else on the EOB to be asked to handle
> matters when they have a relationship with that very vendor.
>
> Grace

Chris Sharp
PINES System Administrator
Georgia Public Library Service