[Eg-oversight-board] Statement of Clarification

Andrea Buntz Neiman aneiman at kent.lib.md.us
Wed May 18 10:07:57 EDT 2016

All,

At its heart I think that this is a communication breakdown.  For many
years we have been casual about things that perhaps should have been
more strictly controlled, but we have been a small and mostly friendly
community and we were able to get away with this.

The points about communication are well-taken and I am hopeful that they
will be addressed.  Obviously there are things that need to be more
formally written down and communicated and I trust that the current
Board will do their best towards getting this in hand.

I respect the fact that Tanya has made her concerns known out of a
desire to improve the project and the conference, and hopefully the EOB
uses them to improve communication and coordination at future events.

That said, I strongly object to the assertion that a member of the EOB
who is a vendor cannot act as the Conference Liaison.  We have several
current and former Board members who would fall under the designation
"vendor", and to restrict activities or roles of duly-elected Board
members because of their employer seems to me to be a dangerous
precedent.  There have been multiple vendor-employees on the Board over
the years and they have all served faithfully and honorably in the best
interests of the project and the community.

I understand that there is a long history in the library world of
"vendor" being something of a dirty word, but we have a bit of a
different dynamic here in the Evergreen community.

All EOB members are *openly elected by the community* and entrusted with
the ultimate financial responsibility and viability of the project.  If
the community has elected an EOB member, that EOB member should be
trusted to execute her/his responsibilities in whichever form they
take.  Grace was not, in this case, acting as a vendor or in the
interest of her employer -- she was acting as a duly elected EOB member
and and duly appointed Conference Liaison.  I don't think that this
rises to a conflict of interest under the Rules of Governance; rather,
it was an attempt to ensure that all vendors were held to the same set
of expectations.

Should the Board feel that the conduct of one of its own is so egregious
that removal is merited (let me be crystal clear that I think this has
definitely NOT occurred here), there is of course a procedure for that.
Failing that, the Board should be free to determine its own
representatives to committees, SFC, etc. as outlined in the Rules of
Governance.

I have every confidence that the communications issues will be resolved
and we can all move forward in a spirit of cooperation. I am of course
no longer on the EOB but I'm happy to help in any way that is needed.

A.

Andrea Buntz Neiman, MLS
Librarian II, Public Services
Kent County Public Library