[Eg-oversight-board] Statement of Clarification

Tim Spindler tjspindler at gmail.com
Wed May 18 16:14:30 EDT 2016

I'm wondering rather than questioning whether a vendor can be on the EOB or
not, I think we should consider a more robust conflict of interest policy
along with better communication and documentation for the conference
committee as has been discussed.  (The additional lists that Grace proposed
are a good start.)

Kathy makes some very good points that it can be difficult to define a
vendor.  At C/W MARS, our board is required to sign off on a conflict of
interest policy every year.  This was reviewed by our attorney.

Our policy is pasted below.  I'm not suggesting that the EOB adopt this
exact policy but I think it is worth considering something more expansive
that all EOB members sign and agree to and hopefully avoid even the
appearance of a conflict.  Such policies provide protection for the board
members and the community.

____________

*Article I: Purpose*

The purpose of the conflict of interest policy is to protect this
tax-exempt organization’s (“C/W MARS”) interest when it is contemplating
entering into a transaction or arrangement that might benefit the private
interest of an officer or director of C/W MARS or might result in a
possible excess benefit transaction.  This policy is intended to supplement
but not replace any applicable state and federal laws governing conflict of
interest applicable to nonprofit and charitable organizations.

*Article II: Definitions*

   1. Interested Person -- Any director, principal officer, or member of a
   committee with Executive Committee delegated powers, who has a direct or
   indirect financial interest, as defined below, is an interested person.
   2. Financial Interest – A person has a financial interest if the has,
   directly or indirectly, through business, investment, or family:
      1. An ownership or investment interest in any entity with which C/W
      MARS has a transaction or arrangement, or
      2. A compensation arrangement with C/W MARS or with any entity or
      individual with which C/W MARS has a  transaction of arrangement; or
      3. A potential ownership or investment interest in, or compensation
      arrangement with, any entity or individual with which C/W MARS is
      negotiating a transaction or arrangement.

Compensation includes direct and indirect remuneration as well as gifts or
favors that are not insubstantial.

A financial interest is not necessarily a conflict of interest.  Under
Article III, Section 2, a person who has a financial interest may have a
conflict of interest only if the appropriate governing board or committee
decides that a conflict of interest exists.

*Article III: Procedures*

   1. Duty to Disclose.  In connection with any actual or possible conflict
   of interest, an interested person must disclose the existence of the
   financial interest and be given the opportunity to disclose all material
   facts to the directors and members of the Executive Committee delegated
   powers considering the proposed transaction or arrangement.
   2. Determining Whether a Conflict of Interest Exists.  After disclosure
   of the financial interest and all material facts, and after any discussion
   with the interested person, he/she shall leave the Executive Committee or
   committee meeting while the determination of a conflict of interest is
   discussed and voted upon.  The remaining committee members shall decide if
   a conflict of interest exists.
   3. Procedures for Addressing the Conflict of Interest.
      1. An interested person may make a presentation at the Executive
      Committee or committee meeting, but after the presentation, he/she shall
      leave the meeting during the discussion of, and the vote on, the
      transaction or arrangement involving the possible conflict of interest.
      2. The chairperson of the Executive Committee shall, if appropriate,
      appoint a disinterested person or committee to investigate
alternatives to
      the proposed transaction or arrangement.
      3. After exercising due diligence, the Executive Committee shall
      determine whether C/W MARS can obtain with reasonable efforts a more
      advantageous transaction or arrangement from a person or entity
that would
      not give rise to a conflict of interest.
      4. If a more advantageous transaction or arrangement is not
      reasonably possible under circumstances not producing a conflict of
      interest, the Executive Committee shall determine by a majority
vote of the
      disinterested directors whether the transaction or arrangement is in C/W
      MARS best interest, for its own benefit, and whether it is fair and
      reasonable.  In conformity with the above determination it shall make its
      decision as to whether to enter into the transaction or arrangement.
   4. Violations of the Conflicts of Interest Policy.
      1. If the Executive Committee has reasonable cause to believe a
      member has failed to disclose actual or possible conflicts of
interest, it
      shall inform the member of the basis for such belief and afford
the member
      an opportunity to explain the alleged failure to disclose.
      2. If, after hearing the member’s response and after making further
      investigation as warranted by the circumstances, the Executive Committee
      determines the member has failed to disclose an actual or
possible conflict
      of interest, it shall take appropriate disciplinary and corrective action.

*Article IV: Records of Proceedings*

The minutes of the Executive Committee and all committees with board
delegated powers shall contain:

   1. The names of the persons who disclosed or otherwise were found to
   have a financial interest in connection with an actual or possible conflict
   of interest, the nature of the financial interest, any action taken to
   determine whether a conflict of interest was present, and the Executive
   Committee’s decision as to whether a conflict of interest in fact existed.
   2. The names of the persons who were present for discussions and votes
   relating to the transaction or arrangement, the content of the discussion,
   including any alternatives to the proposed transaction or arrangement, and
   a record of any votes taken in connection with the proceedings.

*Article V: Compensation*

   1. A voting member of the Executive Committee of Directors who receives
   compensation, directly or indirectly, from C/W MARS for services is
   precluded from voting on matters pertaining to that member’s compensation.
   2. A voting member of any committee whose jurisdiction includes
   compensation matters and who receives compensation, directly or indirectly,
   from C/W MARS for services is precluded from voting on matters pertaining
   to that member’s compensation.
   3. No voting member of the Executive Committee or any committee whose
   jurisdiction includes compensation matters and who receives compensation,
   directly or indirectly, from C/W MARS, either individually or collectively,
   is prohibited from providing information to any committee regarding
   compensation.

*Article VI: Annual Statements*

Each director, principal officer and member of a committee with Executive
Committee delegated powers shall annually sign a statement which affirms
such person:

   1. has received a copy of the conflicts of interest policy,
   2. has read and understands the policy,
   3.  has agreed to comply with the policy, and
   4. understands C/W MARS is charitable and in order to maintain its
   federal tax exemption it must engage primarily in activities which
   accomplish one or more of its tax-exempt purposes.

*Article VII: Periodic Reviews*

To ensure C/W MARS operates in a manner consistent with charitable purposes
and does not engage in activities that could jeopardize its tax-exempt
status, periodic reviews shall be conducted.  The periodic reviews shall,
at a minimum, include the following subjects:

   1. whether compensation arrangements and benefits are reasonable, based
   on competent survey information, and the result of arm’s length bargaining.
   2. Whether partnerships, joint ventures, and arrangements with
   management organizations conform to C/W MARS written policies, are properly
   recorded, reflect reasonable investment or payments for goods and services,
   further charitable purposes and do not result in inurement, impermissible
   private benefit or in an excess benefit transaction.

*Article VIII: Use of Outside Experts*

When conducting the periodic reviews as provide for in Article VII, the
Foundation may, but need not, use outside advisors.  If outside experts are
used, their use shall not relieve the governing committee of its
responsibility for ensuring periodic reviews are conducted.

Tim Spindler
tjspindler at gmail.com

*P**   Go Green - **Save a tree! Please don't print this e-mail unless it's
really necessary.*