[Eg-oversight-board] Office election codification

Grace Dunbar gdunbar at esilibrary.com
Thu Nov 3 11:51:25 EDT 2016

Hi,
Back in the spring we all agreed that the modification of some aspects of
our election processes were working well.  I'm going to detail them all
here again for discussion purposes; however, I'd like to be able to codify
any changes necessary for the ROG by next month's meeting and (hopefully)
update the wiki with the new information.

Quick "how-to" facts:
The eligible community has to register to vote.
We use a quick survey monkey form to capture the necessary details.
Name/org/email
We need the org to verify voting rights and the email addresses to send the
link to the election on OpaVote, which is our voting tool of choice for the
last 2 elections.
Voting process is approval style (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki
/Approval_voting).
New EOB official board rotation happens at the end of the Evergreen
conference.

Current wording is here: https://evergreen-ils.or
g/wp-content/uploads/gov/governance.html#_composition
Specific parts to replace/modify/add:
2.4 d. [current wording] Each year, the Board shall *promulgate* procedures
for nominating and electing new Board members. Nominations may be made by
any individual who has contributed to Evergreen or who is employed by an
institution that runs Evergreen.
2.4 d. [proposed wording] Each year, the Board shall *review* procedures
for nominating and electing new Board members. *If no changes to the
procedures are to be made, the Board shall follow the procedure established
the previous calendar year.* Nominations may be made by any individual who
has contributed to Evergreen or who is employed by an institution that runs
Evergreen.

2.4 e. [current wording] Each year, the Board shall undertake the
electronic collection and counting of votes for the Board election using a
documented voting platform that is widely accessible to the Evergreen
community.

2.4 e. [proposed wording]  Each year, the Board shall undertake the
electronic collection and counting of votes for the Board election using a
documented voting platform that is widely accessible to the Evergreen
community. *Election processes should begin 6 weeks prior to the annual
conference or April 1st, whichever comes first.  No less than one full week
shall be set aside for voting. All voting, including officer elections must
be completed prior to the first day of the Evergreen Conference.*

Newly elected officers will take office at the end of the Evergreen
Conference for that calendar year. If no Evergreen Conference is held
during a calendar year, office terms will begin and end at midnight EDT on
April 30.
Officers rotating off the Board leave office and the end of the Evergreen
Conference for that calendar year or midnight EDT on April 30 if no
Evergreen Conference is held in that calendar year.

If there are no questions or comments on the above ^ I'd like to vote on
that via email next week.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Outstanding questions:

How do you all feel about a proposal that members newly elected to
the EOB (e.g. in their first ever EOB term) may not be nominated to core
roles of Chair, Vice-chair, Secretary, or Conservancy Representative?  They
can, however, be nominated to serve as committee chairs.

Also, the Board has been called upon to appoint several new members when
elected members have resigned.  Personally, I find the Board appointment
process to be an issue as it has the potential to change the dynamic of our
elected board.  Would there be any interest in proposing a change to the
rules of governance to require special elections when a Board member leaves
with more than 6 months left in their term?

And, lastly, is there any strong opinion on the size of the Board? A few
years back there was an effort to reduce the Board size and we did make
headway on that over the years by simply reducing the number of seats at
each election.  How does everyone feel about the current size?  FWIW, I
think we're at a good size now, especially considering how much work we
have on our plates for the next few years.  But I'd like to hear your
opinions.

Thanks!
Grace

--