[Eg-oversight-board] Fwd: Evergreen participation in Outreachy?

Lori Ayre lori.ayre at galecia.com
Fri Sep 2 14:13:48 EDT 2016

Hi Kathy and all,

I just went through and read through the thread about participating in this
the last time it came up.  And I have to say it was disheartening.  Has
anything been done around the idea Grace raised - to survey people who have
attempted to get involved in coding for Evergreen to find out what the
impediments were?  I think that would be very fruitful....if you can find
them.

I have a perspective on this topic I'd like to share.  I'm working with a
couple Evergreen consortia right now and in the process I'm talking with
many other consortia on Evergreen (and other ILSs including Koha) and there
is a consistent theme that Evergreen development is too slow and that this
is beginning to make some consortia question whether Evergreen really makes
sense for them.  It isn't uncommon for me hear that people are frustrated
that it is taking so long to deliver the web client and that other
enhancements are being tabled until that is done. And it starts to feel
strikingly similar to what it was like with a commercial ILS where requests
for enhancements were ignored.

I think this is because there so few developers. I know Equinox is focusing
their energies on the web client but that shouldn't mean all other
development comes to a halt.  There should be more human resources involved
so that one company focusing on one big component shouldn't halt progress
on everything else.  I know this same thing happened when KCLS first got
involved and was able to monopolize the the limited developer community to
focus on their priorities. And I have to say that I personally attempted to
bring in more developers to the fold (as part of that KCLS initiative) so
that instead of monopolizing the limited resources, the end result would be
to expand and enrich the pool of developers.  But that turned out to be
VERY hard to do. And the people I got interested in development and who
tried to get involved...all gave up - discouraged and frustrated.

So, I'd like to suggest it should be a very high priority to find a better
way to attract, on-board, and retain people who would like to get involved
in the Evergreen community on the coding level.  I don't think waiting on
delivery of the web client is an adequate strategy.

Lori

Lori Bowen Ayre //
Library Technology Consultant / The Galecia Group
(707) 763-6869 // Lori.Ayre at galecia.com
Availability:  https://doodle.com/loriayre

<Lori.Ayre at galecia.com>Specializing in RFID, automated materials handling,
workflow optimization, and Drupal services