[Eg-oversight-board] Setting Up a Non-Profit

Gagnon, Ron gagnon at noblenet.org
Thu Jan 25 11:53:21 EST 2018

Different states may have different annual filing requirements.  I know
that we at NOBLE also have to file two reports with Massachusetts, one
listing our officers and contact info and another to retain our charitable
status.  Might be helpful to know what Missouri requirements would be.

Ron

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 11:19 AM, Timothy Spindler <tspindler at cwmars.org>
wrote:

> Terran, for non-profits, I'm not aware of any advantages or disadvantages
> with different states but I haven't researched it thoroughly.  The one
> thing that does come to mind is that if we incorporate in a states where
> there are no Evergreen users, would that create a paperwork headache down
> the road.
>

> Tim Spindler | Executive Director | C/W MARS
>
> ts <tspindler at cwmars.org>pindler at cwmars.org <tspindler at cwmars.org> | 508-755-3323
> x120 <(508)%20755-3323>
>
> http://www.cwmars.org
>

> On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 11:13 AM, Terran McCanna <
> tmccanna at georgialibraries.org> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Tim!
>>
>> I don't have any objections to incorporating in Missouri. Are there any
>> benefits or disadvantages of incorporating in one state or another? I
>> assume if we were a for-profit we'd be more concerned about taxation
>> differences from one state to another, but I don't know that there are big
>> differences between states for non-profits.
>>
>> Terran McCanna
>> PINES Program Manager
>> Georgia Public Library Service
>> 1800 Century Place, Suite 150
>> <https://maps.google.com/?q=1800+Century+Place,+Suite+150+Atlanta,+GA+30345&entry=gmail&source=g>
>> Atlanta, GA 30345
>> <https://maps.google.com/?q=1800+Century+Place,+Suite+150+Atlanta,+GA+30345&entry=gmail&source=g>
>> 404-235-7138 <(404)%20235-7138>
>> tmccanna at georgialibraries.org
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 11:10 AM, Timothy Spindler <tspindler at cwmars.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I just got off the phone with Donna Bacon and she can have their lawyers
>>> start the process of setting up a corporation and non-profit.  She said
>>> that MOBIUS can work with us to handle contracts, etc. for the 2019
>>> conference if there is not yet an Evergreen non-profit to sign off on
>>> contracts.
>>>
>>> Her lawyers can incorporate in Missouri.  I was wondering if the board
>>> is ok with this or would prefer we incorporate in a different state?  Do we
>>> need a longer more detailed discussion about where to incorporate.
>>>
>>> Tim Spindler | Executive Director | C/W MARS
>>>
>>> ts <tspindler at cwmars.org>pindler at cwmars.org <tspindler at cwmars.org> | 508-755-3323
>>> x120 <(508)%20755-3323>
>>>
>>> http://www.cwmars.org

>>> ersight-board

Ronald A. Gagnon
Executive Director
North Of Boston Library Exchange (NOBLE)
Danvers, Massachusetts  01923
978-777-8844
www.noblenet.org