[Evergreen-admin] Staff client (v2.3.1) won't connect

Bouchard, Maurice maurice.bouchard at bassett.org
Fri Nov 30 11:07:41 EST 2012

Hello,

This is no doubt a newbie question but I've searched high and low and cannot find an answer.  I've installed evergreen server v2.3.1 on ubuntu 12.04 (using VirtualBox 4.2.4) on my Windows XP (really) workstation.  Evergreen seems to be working properly.  I can communicate with srfsh and I can browse to the catalog (I've customized links and logos; my changes appear and are working).  I can login to the OPAC with the eg admin user name and password.  I cannot, however, connect to anything with the Staff Client (v2.3.1)

I am using a local, private IP address 192.168.58.114 (this is just a prototype so I can convince my boss to go with evergreen).  I've added an entry to my hosts file on my Windows workstation as
192.168.58.114 library

I can ping it from the Windows command line.

When I enter either 192.168.58.114 or library in the Hostname field on the staff client and re-test the server I get "There was an error testing this hostname." I've tried entering one of the host names in the community server list, but I get the same result.  I uninstalled v2.3.1 and installed 2.3.0.  When I enter my IP addr (or library or one of the community servers) in the hostname field and try to test, it correctly tells me I have a version mismatch.

I've noticed I have to register my workstation, but the instructions say to login as administrator to register the workstation.  Of course, I can't log in.  Is there a way to register the first workstation outside of the staff client or does that not matter in this case?

Is there a way to get debugging information for the client?  I noticed debug code in the javascript but I didn't see how to turn it on.

I am sure I am missing something fundamental (which is probably why I can't find it in the doc, the wiki, mail archives or IRC archives).

Any help will be most appreciated.

Maury Bouchard
Educational Tech Consultant
Bassett Learning Commons and Mackenzie Medical Library
(607) 547-3116