[Evergreen-catalogers] Cataloging module functions?

Mary Llewellyn mllewell at biblio.org
Wed Jul 18 16:49:39 EDT 2012

Hi all,

Someone has given me a list of things they'd want for cataloging in an ILS,
and I'm trying to compare what I know of Evergreen cataloging with their
list. I'm not certain of a few things, and I wonder if anyone could help me
out.

1.       Can you "clone" a bib record in Evergreen? In other words, take an
existing bib and make a copy of it to use as a basis for a new bib record,
such as for a new edition of a title you already own? The closest I see
among actions for bib records is to open a record in a new tab, but that
just gives you the same record gain, same Database ID and all.

2.       Validation. I know there's a validation button in the MARC editor,
but I can't see that it does anything. What I was looking for was some sign
the bib's tags were being checked against a MARC 21 validation table.

3.       Is any validation of MARC tags done when a record in imported,
either through Z39.50 or the batch importer?

Thanks!

Mary

Mary Llewellyn

Database Manager