[Evergreen-catalogers] Cataloging module functions?

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Thu Jul 19 08:42:05 EDT 2012

1)      No. Since PINES policy is to create new records in OCLC for
everything except items of an ephemeral nature, creating new bib records
in Evergreen is very rudimentary.

2)      Validation is against an authority file and not against MARC21
standards. At one time, there were plans to incorporate that but I don't
know where development is.

3)      As far as I know, there isn't any validation of MARC tags through
the Z39.50 interface. I have no idea about the batch importer. Since OCLC
is  the sole source for PINES bib records and they validate tags,
indicators, etc. to MARC 21 standards we didn't see the need for a
validator in the interface between the two.

Elaine

  _____

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES Bibliographic Projects & Metadata Manager
Georgia Public Library Service
1800 Century Place, Ste 150
Atlanta, Ga. 30345-4304

404.235-7128