[Evergreen-catalogers] Automatic call number fill in

sarahc at zionsville.lib.in.us sarahc at zionsville.lib.in.us
Thu Jun 21 17:58:06 EDT 2012

Hi, Everyone.

We have our Classification set to Generic, and if I understand
correctly, that means the first call number in the MARC record
gets automatically supplied in the call number box when I add
volumes.

This is useful to me probably less than 1% of the time, since the
vast majority of the time the first call number listed is LOC,
which we don't use. On the rare occasion the LOC number in the
record, and a Dewey number is supplied, we don't use Dewey for all
of our collections, so even that may not be useful.

So most of the time it just means an extra step of deleting the
supplied call number, which I assume is the opposite of the
intention of automatically supplying a call number.

I'm wondering if this is the general experience for other
libraries with Generic setting?  Would others find it preferable
if no call number was supplied?

(For various reasons, we don't want to switch the setting to
Dewey, at least not at this time.)

Sarah Childs
Senior Cataloger
Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library