[Evergreen-catalogers] Automatic call number fill in

Elizabeth Thomsen et at noblenet.org
Thu Jun 21 22:52:15 EDT 2012

We were just talking about this today.  We're a consortium of 28
libraries, live on Evergreen for three weeks.  We have both Dewey and LC
libraries, and I thought the automatically-supplied call number would be a
handy feature and presented it as such in training.  But now that we're
live, several libraries have expressed their dislike for this and asked
that it be turned off.  Most of our libraries have large areas of their
collections that use generic call numbers of various types, and they find
it especially annoying that they get the Dewey or LC call number even when
they are applying a template that has generic specified as the call number
type.

At this point, they just want a way to turn this feature off for their
libraries.   I think an improvement that might make a difference would be
to have the call number only brought in when using a template that
specified Dewey or LC.

--
Elizabeth Thomsen, Member Services Manager
NOBLE: North of Boston Library Exchange
E-mail: et at noblenet.org