[Evergreen-catalogers] RDA and the future of Evergreen

sarahc at zionsville.lib.in.us sarahc at zionsville.lib.in.us
Wed May 2 13:02:17 EDT 2012

Hello Everyone,

If you had a chance to attend the session, Alphabet Soup: RDA,
FRBR and the Future of Evergreen last week, you know that Lebbeous
asked catalogers to define the development we need for Evergreen
to effectively display, index and generally handle RDA records.

What do you think are development needs for RDA in Evergreen? How
would you like the records to appear? To search and index? How do
you want links to function, display, etc.?

Here are some first thoughts off the top of my head. I need to sit
down and give this some serious thought, and hopefully you'll give
me a lot to think about as well.

It think it's important that things feel pretty seamless for users
between the RDA and AACR2 and earlier records.

I'd like to be able to take advantage of the 33x fields for
sorting and narrowing of searches, and obviously I don't want them
to display, since they would be meaningless jargon to the average
person.

I think I'd like to see the subfield e for Creators indexed.

Sarah Childs
Senior Cataloger
Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library
250 North Fifth Street