[Evergreen-catalogers] MODS indexing and 700 |t

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Fri May 4 09:03:32 EDT 2012

1) Yes -- too many records aren't returned in a search as it is now. And
yes for adding the field to the OPAC display. I would make it part of the
default, actually, with or without the |t. But, I argued for a much more
comprehensive OPAC display from the very beginning. I think the default
leaves out too many needed fields.

2) In general, I agree that the 7xx fields should be weighted differently
than an 1xx field. An good example of a problem with not doing so is the
author search for John Sandford -- the author of adult thrillers and an
illustrator of children's books (different people). In the PINES catalog
(currently out of the box ranking), the children's books display first and
then the others even though the illustrator is in a 700 field and the
other Sandford is in the 100.. It would be a little more relevant to have
the 100 Sandford, John records first in the relevance ranking. But, what
would the overall result be in putting them in separate name indexes?
Would it slow down search returns?

Elaine

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES Bibliographic Projects and Metadata Manager
Georgia Public Library Service,
A Unit of the University System of Georgia
1800 Century Place, Suite 150
Atlanta, Ga. 30345-4304
404.235-7128
404.235-7201, fax