[Evergreen-catalogers] Volume Information: Classification Scheme

Elizabeth B. Thomsen et at noblenet.org
Fri May 4 13:59:20 EDT 2012

We were involved in this development, and although I can't comment on
any issues of changing the way you're currently doing things, I can tell
you what we want this for: we want our call number information to be
divided by classification scheme and sorted into neat little boxes for
prefix, call number proper and suffix, to make it easier for us to do
various types of reports and data analysis.

Background:  We're a consortium of public and academic libraries with a
mix of call number schemes.  Each of our libraries use LC or Dewey for
some or all of their items, with most also using generic text call
numbers like "Fiction Grisham" or "DVD Travel 342" for some areas of
their collection.

We have a long history of doing consortium-wide collection assessment
projects and we need to be able to do queries on call numbers across all
libraries saying "show me all items linked to volumes that have either a
Dewey call number that starts with 77 or an LC call number that starts
with TR."  (Not the proper syntax, obviously, but you get the idea.)
Based on our experiences (good and bad) with our current system, we
wanted to be able to distinguish between Dewey and LC numbers and
exclude the generics, and to know where the actual Dewey or LC number
starts, which is why we wanted prefixes.

Others may not have a need for this much structure, and certainly it
would take a work to sort things out after the fact.

Elizabeth