[Evergreen-catalogers] Volume Information: Classification Scheme

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Fri May 4 15:18:54 EDT 2012

While our default classification scheme is Dewey (and all PINES libraries
use Dewey), existing records were set to Generic when we migrated. As we
add new volumes, PINES catalogers have been setting the call number to
Dewey. We have discovered this means that in call number browse, the
generic numbers sort differently from the Dewey numbers. If you do a call
number browse, those set to Dewey sort first and then the Generic sort,
even if they are the same number. We are going to flip all Generic to
Dewey when we have had a chance to test to make sure it doesn't cause
something else to happen.

I think it is your default classification scheme that determines what
suggested call number is pulled from the record.

Elaine

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES Bibliographic Projects and Metadata Manager
Georgia Public Library Service,
A Unit of the University System of Georgia
1800 Century Place, Suite 150
Atlanta, Ga. 30345-4304
404.235-7128
404.235-7201, fax