[Evergreen-catalogers] Volume Information: Classification Scheme

Ben Shum bshum at biblio.org
Fri May 4 16:20:42 EDT 2012

Hi Sarah, etc.

I changed most all of our call number classifications in our Evergreen
system to use Dewey for our catalogers after we realized that we had a
mix of schemes employed across our consortium and it was affecting the
sorting for the call number shelf browser.

 From a data perspective, a call number with a generic classification
type usually has a label sortkey value largely unchanged from the actual
displayed label.  But employing Dewey or Library of Congress types
changed our sortkeys to include additional paddings for sort accuracy.
An example from our system looked like was a label like "791.457
SWEENEY", which had a sortkey value of "791_457000000000000_SWEENEY"
actually used for sorting.  I think before that we had cases where
something like 791 came after 791.457 because the decimal values ended
up before the non-decimal ones.  But this may have been only the case in
earlier versions of Evergreen, prior to 2.0.

For consistency, once we ran database update queries to change all the
classification types to Dewey in our copies, we also implemented a
library setting to make Dewey classification the default used by the
entire consortium.  The library setting involved was called "Default
Classification Scheme" and we set ours to a value of "2" for Dewey.
Your system administrators may want to configure that option so that
your cataloging process automatically applies the "correct" scheme and
then catalogers can largely skip over / avoid that choice when creating
copies.

-- Ben