[Evergreen-catalogers] RDA and the future of Evergreen

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Mon May 7 07:54:31 EDT 2012

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 2:47 PM, Hardy, Elaine
<ehardy at georgialibraries.org> wrote:
> There isn't as of yet, that I have heard of. One of the problems with a
> conversion matching is that not everything would be a one-to-one because
> either AACR2 doesn't require it, or one MARC field can have several bits
> of information that would be separate entry in RDA. For example, for some
> of the carrier types, it is best expressed in an 007; but 007 isn't a
> required field so not all records that should have them do. And, the
> values in an 007 mean different things depending on the record format --
> 007 |g for a map is Production/ reproduction details. The same subfield
> for video recording is  Medium for sound.

The lack of 007 fields is a big issue, but (thankfully) where we have
them we can interpret them correctly.  For 2.0 I encoded the full
table here[1] in the Evergreen database, and built a stored procedure
to extract all of the information in the record's 007 -- we use it to
pull out the videorecording format for indexing.  So if/when an
approximate AACR2->RDA algorithm is created we should be in a good
position to make use of it.

--miker