[Evergreen-catalogers] Evergreen-catalogers Digest, Vol 12, Issue 17

Carolyn Phillips cphillip at grpl.org
Tue Apr 16 13:31:51 EDT 2013

On 4/16/2013 1:16 PM, Galen Charlton wrote, in part:
> Each tag is checked in order; the first one that is present in the
> record becomes the source of the bib call number. Note that if only
> the tag number is listed, the only the subfield $a is looked at, so
> that's why you're not seeing the Cutter from the 090.
Here at GRPL, the catalogers type the assigned classification into an
082 field, first indicator 0, second indicator 4, making sure it is the
first 082 in the MARC record.  We do not use a subfield. Then when our
inputters are attaching items on EG, that first 082 supplies the call
field information and they do not have to re-type it.  For instance for
a fiction book, we would type 082 04 Fiction Dilloway.  For a nonfiction
book: 082 04 813.6 St82w.  It is working great.  We can do this now that
we are not sharing EG with other libraries.  Libraries with their own
classification schemes who are in a consortium with other libraries
could not take advantage of this, but we are loving it.

Carolyn Phillips