[Evergreen-catalogers] OPAC "format" field

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Thu Apr 18 14:37:19 EDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 11:05 AM, Galen Charlton <gmc at esilibrary.com> wrote:
> However, having easy access to the SMDs for templating and search
> filtering could be handy; it would be straightforward to add attribute
> definitions for the SMD for all categories of materials, or to add a
> definition that captures the 007/00-01.

So here's a specific example one could try.  This should work in 2.3
or later, and try it out in a test database first.

[1] In the staff client, go to  Admin | Server Administration | MARC
Record Attributes

[2] Create a new attribute as follows:

Name = vr_smd
Label = Videorecording SMD
Filter = checked
Physical Characteristic = 70

70 is a magic number, unfortunately -- it's the ID of the row in the
table config.marc21_physical_characteristic_subfield_map specifying
grabbing the 007/01 for 007/00 = 'v', i.e., the SMD.

[3] Reingest the affected records.  This could be done with SQL:

UPDATE config.internal_flag
SET enabled = true
WHERE name = 'ingest.reingest.force_on_same_marc';

-- this next update boils down to "please reindex all bibs that have
an 007/00 equal to 'v'
UPDATE biblio.record_entry
SET id = id
WHERE SUBSTRING((XPATH('//marc:controlfield[@tag="007"]/text()',
marc::XML, ARRAY[ARRAY['marc',
'http://www.loc.gov/MARC21/slim']]))[1]::TEXT, 1, 1) = 'v';

UPDATE config.internal_flag
SET enabled = false
WHERE name = 'ingest.reingest.force_on_same_marc';

[4] At this point, you have a vr_smd attribute that you can use to
filter records (though you might need to restart Evergreen services
first).  For example, suppose you want all Harry Potter
videocassettes.  You could do a keyword search on

harry potter vr_smd(f)

Or videodiscs:

harry potter vr_smd(d)

Another interesting search to try (especially if you had gotten rid of
your VHS tapes a while back) is just

vr_smd(f)

There are other things you could do at this point, like using the
Coded Value Maps editor in the staff client to enter the
human-readable labels for the SMD codes.

I'll grant that these are not the prettiest of instructions, but
hopefully this gives all you an idea of the possibilities.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton