[Evergreen-catalogers] Importing/Uploading files from OneClick & Overdrive

Christine Morgan cmorgan at noblenet.org
Wed Dec 11 10:16:27 EST 2013

Hi Janet,

I am also loading large, identical collections for more than one
library. I have begun using the Tasks feature in MARCedit to create
multiple 856 fields in the bib records. The result is that I am able to
create an 856 field for each library and then load the file only once.
Tasks allows you to assign multiple operations to a function key. It's
like a little macro. You may need more than one Task to do what you need
to do, but Tasks is saving me a huge amount of processing and loading
time on these big files.

If you need more information on Tasks, let me know.
Christine

On 12/10/2013 3:57 PM, Janet Schrader wrote:

> I also use MARCedit to combine small files into a single large one. I
> also use MARCedit to split files if I get very large files such as
> those from EBSCO or EBrary. I find that Vandelay dies if the file
> being loaded is too large. The largest one I ever successfully loaded
> was 1,800 records but it was very slow. So I split large files into
> multiple files of 1,000.
>
> If you haven't used MARCedit, I highly recommend it. It's a free
> software program that allows you to join, split, and edit MARC
> records. There's also a MARCedit listserv if you need help with the
> software.
>
> The problem with OneClick and Overdrive is the slowness in downloading
> the files. Particularly Overdrive. I don't understand why OCLC may
> post 18 files in a single day when there are only three formats,
> e-audio, e-book, and e-video. Some files have a single record. Very
> frustrating.
>
> Our network is on REL 2.4. I welcome any suggestions on how to load
> bib records into EG as I am now working on loading files of over
> 30,000 records each for two libraries. That's a total of 60+ files.
> Vandelay loads about 40-50 records per minute. I have two academic
> libraries that purchased EBSCO for 4-year colleges and want me to load
> 112,000 records.
>
> Janet
>
> Janet Schrader
>
> C/W MARS Inc.