[Evergreen-catalogers] Importing/Uploading files from OneClick & Overdrive

Janet Schrader jschrader at cwmars.org
Tue Dec 10 15:57:18 EST 2013

I also use MARCedit to combine small files into a single large one. I also use MARCedit to split files if I get very large files such as those from EBSCO or EBrary. I find that Vandelay dies if the file being loaded is too large. The largest one I ever successfully loaded was 1,800 records but it was very slow. So I split large files into multiple files of 1,000.

If you haven't used MARCedit, I highly recommend it. It's a free software program that allows you to join, split, and edit MARC records. There's also a MARCedit listserv if you need help with the software.

The problem with OneClick and Overdrive is the slowness in downloading the files. Particularly Overdrive. I don't understand why OCLC may post 18 files in a single day when there are only three formats, e-audio, e-book, and e-video. Some files have a single record. Very frustrating.

Our network is on REL 2.4. I welcome any suggestions on how to load bib records into EG as I am now working on loading files of over 30,000 records each for two libraries. That's a total of 60+ files. Vandelay loads about 40-50 records per minute. I have two academic libraries that purchased EBSCO for 4-year colleges and want me to load 112,000 records.

Janet

Janet Schrader
C/W MARS Inc.
Supervisor of Bibliographic Services