[Evergreen-catalogers] Authority records

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 14:30:59 EST 2013

Elaine,

It is helpful, thanks, and it makes sense.

To bring the discussion around full circle, the fix that went in should do
what we want in these situations.  That is, a simplified version of the
issue looks like this: the 410 in the uniform title authority record was
being used to look up the appropriate bib fields to overlay using the
authority data.  But there was (previously) a faulty assumption that a 410
would only exist in an authority record containing a 110 and that it would
overlay bib fields 110, 610, 710, etc.  The authority record contains a 130
and two 410s, and so the overlay template constructed was just plain wrong.
 Now we only look at the main heading of the authority record (1xx) when
deciding on the shape of the generated overlay template (auth fields to
use, bib fields to overlay).  Given the example bib and auth, we will now
correctly overly the 630 in the bib with the 130 from the authority,
ignoring the 410s, when the authority record is updated and causes an
automatic bib update.  Furthermore, if there are any code paths that slip
through the cracks, the function closest to the data will refuse to perform
an overlay action where no overlay rules at all are specified, which was
the proximate cause of the bib damage.

Thanks for all the info and clarification, folks.  It was very helpful!

--miker

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 12:40 PM, Hardy, Elaine <ehardy at georgialibraries.org