[Evergreen-catalogers] Changing a shelf locations

Miller, Jeremy JEREMYM at cityofalbany.net
Wed May 29 14:42:34 EDT 2013

If there is anything at all unique in the records that could be used to select them, and somebody could do the changes at the database level... it is fairly easy and could save a lot of work.  Pretty similar to the already mentioned report->excel->load workflow, but I'll throw this method out there anyway.

Using call number ranges, we just split our monolithic "Children's Room" and "Young Adult" locations into a bunch of new separate shelving locations.  Also split videos, new books, and large print collections into separate fiction/nonfiction locations.

The code for doing one call number range looked like this...

UPDATE asset.copy SET location ='268' WHERE id IN (SELECT copy.id FROM asset.copy AS copy JOIN asset.copy_location AS copylocation ON (copy.location = copylocation.id) JOIN asset.call_number AS callnum ON (copy.call_number = callnum.id)
WHERE callnum.label_sortkey BETWEEN 'DVD 0' AND 'DVD 999.9999' AND copylocation.name IN ('NONFICTION') AND copy.location ='168' AND copy.circ_lib IN ('4'));

That was for videos that were actually located and interfiled with nonfiction books.  They were moved to "Adult Videos Nonfiction".
At the other library, they were located in "Videos"... moving them to the "Adult Videos Nonfiction" at that library worked much the same way.

For each batch of call numbers to be moved, just need the id & name of the current location, the id of the library, and the id of the location to change them to.

Some of that SQL is actually superfluous/redundant, it was done that way for repeatability (a few selections required more complex criteria) and readability.  There were about 90 of those statements, to move about 75K items within two libraries.

Anyhow, if they can be selected electronically, it'd take all of a few minutes to move them all.  But if there isn't... yes, you're probably stuck scanning barcodes.

Jeremiah Miller - 541-917-7597
Sysadmin - Albany Public Library
Albany, OR