[Evergreen-catalogers] Periodicals Cataloging

Darcy B. Wood dwood at carthagelibrary.net
Tue Oct 29 10:45:44 EDT 2013

Hello!  Carthage just joined Missouri Evergreen in August, and I was
hoping that someone could help me with Periodicals Cataloging.

Cathy Dame from Lebanon-Laclede gave me a great resource from the Best
Practices section on the Missouri Evergreen site, but I'm still having
some questions.

  * Some of the magazines I've searched for do not have ISSNs listed on
    their information page.  Is the best way to search for them to look
    for the Title in Advanced search and select Serial or Serial
    Component Part?  Is there a place where I can get the ISSN, like the
    magazine website?  Will all records in Evergreen have the ISSN?
  * When I search for magazines, I come across many entries (volumes?
    records?) versus one entry with multiple parts that have the issue
    dates.  Would it be fair to assume that these were items that were
    previously cataloged and then migrated?
  * Which of these multiple entries do I attach my items to?  Do I
    create a new entry with no issue date to attach parts to?
  * What do I do if a record for the magazine does not exist in
    Evergreen?  Do I look in Z39.50 and/or create an original record?

We have never had our magazines in the computer before, and are anxious
to get rid of the paper and hash marks and things.  How does everyone
process the magazines when they come in?  Do you catalog instantly, or
when the new one comes in, you catalog the previous one?  How do you
keep track of receiving dates?

ANY information about post-migration serials cataloging would be GREATLY
APPRECIATED!

--
Darcy B. Wood, Circulation Manager/Cataloger
Carthage Public Library