[Evergreen-catalogers] Periodicals Cataloging

Lynn Floyd lfloyd at andersonlibrary.org
Tue Oct 29 15:32:17 EDT 2013

Not all serials have ISSN's.  It really depends on who the publisher is.
Also, I have discovered that it may not be listed on their Information page,
but somewhere else in the magazine.  I remember one I had to look at each
page to finally find it.

As I do not know how other libraries in Missouri Evergreen had added
titles/Volumes/Items, I am only guessing, but this is what we do, as we
circulate our magazines.  Each magazine gets an Volume added with the Issue
information, then the Item gets added under that.  Our call numbers tell us
what volume and issue the item is.  We do not use parts.  So for Time
Weekly, there will be around 52 volumes for just Branch A, each volume has 1
copy, unless we have more than one copy.

If a record does not exist, then I add them via Z39.50, or create an
original record.  Library of Congress has decent serial records in there
collection.

We catalog them as they come in, the create date is the date we use as our
receiving date.  The current issue is marked as non-circulating, the
previous issue is then marked as circulating.  We keep about a year's worth
of most of our subscriptions on hand.  Monthly, we will go through and
delete that month in the previous year items, this keeps our stock rotated
and it not such a burden on the staff.

Have you investigated using the Serials Module?  I have looked into it to
see if would stream line our process, but it got put on the back burner.

Lynn Floyd
 <mailto:lfloyd at andersonlibrary.org> lfloyd at andersonlibrary.org
Anderson County Library
864-260-4500 x181