[Evergreen-catalogers] Looking for feedback for a small UI change to "Manage Authorities" search results

Yamil Suarez ysuarez at berklee.edu
Wed Dec 17 14:51:13 EST 2014

Hello,

I wanted to propose a minor UI change in authorities related code
within EG, or at least offer a small UI customization to those few
that would find it useful. BTW, I am not a cataloger or have an MLS,
so my apologies in advance if I get my rules wrong. I had our
catalogers verify my general facts before posting.

At Berklee we work a lot with the cataloging "Manage Authorities" user
interface to look up and then edit authority records. Specially since
we are not currently using a vendor to periodically update our
authority records. In addition, at this point we only use the EG
default "Authority Control Set" called "LoC." Those that use multiple
control sets, might have a different experience.

When we perform a browse search for authorities, for example an author
browse search for "Miles, David," our results would look something
like this truncated example…

[edit]   Davis, Adam                   Control Set: Loc (#1)

[edit]   Davis, Brian                    Control Set: Loc (#1)

[edit]   Davis, Miles                    Control Set: Loc (#1)

[edit]   Davis, Peter                    Control Set: Loc (#1)

At different times during our catalogers' workflow, they would need to
quickly discern if the listed authority records were issued by LoC or
if they are locally created authority records. Currently they would
need to click on the edit button and wait for the authority MARC
editor window to pop up. We realized that it would be helpful for us
to display the "Subject Heading Thesaurus" fixed field value[1]
directly in the authority browse results. For the record, the "Subject
Heading Thesaurus" basically defines the issuing authority that
created the authority record. For example, a value of "a" means that
it came from LoC, an "n" means that it is a locally created authority,
and a "k" means Canadian Subject Headings. Note: within the EG
authority MARC editor the "Subject Heading Thesaurus"  is
stored/displayed in the fixed field labeled 'Subj'.

The initial version of my code change just displays a prefix of "Thes:
" then the fixed field value which for us is typically "a" (Loc) or
"n" (local).

Here is what the earlier results would look like with the code change…

[edit]   Davis, Adam                   Control Set: Loc (#1)    Thes: a

[edit]   Davis, Brian                    Control Set: Loc (#1)    Thes: n

[edit]   Davis, Miles                    Control Set: Loc (#1)    Thes: a

[edit]   Davis, Peter                    Control Set: Loc (#1)    Thes: n

I wanted to share this code change with the community to see if others
would be interested in using this simple feature, and to get feedback
of how the community would prefer that it be implemented in a future
release, if at all. Though they might a we that would not mind having
this local customization, even if it is not approved for official
releases going forward.

Finally, I could use some specific feedback from those that want this
code change. Should I stick to the "Thes: " label? Alternatively I
could display the full label of each "Subject Heading Thesaurus" that
is stored inside EG, see list below, but it might get to verbose in
some systems.

''     = Alternate no attempt to code
a     = Library of Congress Subject Headings
b     = LC subject headings for children's literature
c     = Medical Subject Headings
d     = National Agricultural Library subject authority file
k     = Canadian Subject Headings
n     = Song title heading     Song title heading description
r     = Art and Architecture Thesaurus
s     = Sears List of Subject Headings
v     = Repertoire de vedettes-matiere
z     = Other
|     = No attempt to code

Here is a link to the code change for those that want to see the details…
http://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=working/Evergreen.git;a=commitdiff;h=89f863b742e8f92c8d5c07df6e541e7576243ae3

Thanks in advance,
Yamil

[1] http://www.loc.gov/marc/authority/ad008.html