[Evergreen-catalogers] 490/8xx tags - need clarification

Prokrym, Tatiana H tanya.prokrym at ncdcr.gov
Fri Feb 7 13:09:14 EST 2014

Hi,

I have been reviewing past emails, archives, Launchpad, release notes etc. on how Evergreen handles the 490/8xx fields in terms of displaying the information on Evergreen’s record detail window as well as how these fields are used for searching within Evergreen.  It’s a bit confusing and there is conflicting information.  Would someone tell me if the following statements that I found are correct? If there is a webpage I missed that explains all this, please let me know.  I tried a lot of different query combinations.

I am confused!

1.       if a 490 tag is added to a record with ind1= 0, then a patron could retrieve the record with a KEYWORD search

2.       If MARC records that include a 490 IND1=1 tag together with an 8xx field are imported into Evergreen, the SERIES statement will not be searchable in the current system.  To facilitate cataloging, the 490 IND1=0 tag should be added to the imported record if the 490 0 does not exist.

Also, there seems to be a discrepancy between version 2.3 and 2.5 of Evergreen on how 490/8xx fields are handled.  I found the example below in one discussion thread. Is this still true?

In 2.3, records with:
490         1. ‡a[The hunger games trilogy ; ‡vbk. 1]
800         1. ‡aCollins, Suzanne. ‡tHunger Games ; ‡vbk. 1.

and

490 1.    ‡aHunger games ; ‡v2
830 .0    ‡aHunger games ; ‡v2.

are retrieved.

In 2.5, only records with 830 are retrieved :

490 1.    ‡aHunger games ; ‡v2
830 .0    ‡aHunger games ; ‡v2.

Thank you,
Tanya
Tanya Prokrym - NC Cardinal Program Manager
State Library of North Carolina
4640 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-4640
Email: tanya.prokrym at ncdcr.gov<mailto:tanya.prokrym at ncdcr.gov>
Office: 919.807.7424; Fax: 919.733.8748
[slnc-logo-100-wide] [cid:image004.png at 01CF2405.CC73EEE0]

Opinions expressed in this message may not represent the policy of my agency.  Email correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the North Carolina Public Records law “NCGS.Ch. 132” and may be disclosed to third parties by an authorized state official.