[Evergreen-catalogers] Library of Congress Authority Files import?

Jenee Force jmforce at berklee.edu
Mon Jan 13 10:42:36 EST 2014

Hi Alex,

We just migrated to 2.5 on January 7 and are able to export LoC authority
records from OCLC and import them into Evergreen easily.

That being said, we have found one problem that is marginally related to
importing LoC authority records. Around the same time we upgraded to 2.5 we
finally got all our authority records linked to bibliographic records!!!
Many of the authorities in our authority file need to be updated due to
various changes, e.g. qualifiers, birth/death dates, lack of abbreviations
in subject headings, uniform titles, etc. When we try to merge an authority
that has many bibliographic records linked to it (e.g. 112, 564, 2250) with
its updated version, the page times out, thus not merging the authorities.
This then leaves the authority split in the system, so to speak.

I hope this is helpful information.

Sincerely,
Jenée Morgan Force

--