[Evergreen-catalogers] Relator terms and codes during automatic headings matches

Bryan Baldus bryan.baldus at quality-books.com
Thu Jun 18 10:12:48 EDT 2015

On Thursday, June 18, 2015 8:48 AM, Elaine wrote:
>I'm going to give a qualified yes. However, the relator code (|e) is valid in authority records under RDA rules so it could be legitimate for some names. I have not under gone NACO training for creating authorities yet but can ask advice of someone that has if needed. See http://www.loc.gov/marc/authority/ad100.html

 I can't think of any reason why $e would appear in an authority record; certainly not as part of an authorized heading (1xx), at least as authority work is currently done (in NACO).  PCC is still working on guidelines [1], with an example saying not to include $e: Guideline 3: "When constructing authorized access points for works and expressions, do not include a relationship designator as part of the access point. ".

[1] (draft version, I believe): http://www.loc.gov/aba/pcc/rda/PCC%20RDA%20guidelines/Relat-Desig-Guidelines-AUTH-Final.docx

I hope this helps,

Bryan Baldus
Senior Cataloger