[Evergreen-catalogers] Relator terms and codes during automatic headings matches

Yamil Suarez ysuarez at berklee.edu
Thu Jun 18 10:26:00 EDT 2015

Hello,

I am not a cataloger, but my library was affected by this bug a while
ago and the catalogers here and I have been researching what changes
need to be made to the Evergreen code defaults to avoid the problem.
We are also are coming up with several other proposed changes to the
Evergreen defaults to address other similar issues with the linking of
authorities.

In our research we found that you would not want either $4 or $e to be
kept in the authority record for authority tags 100 and 110, with RDA
records or non-RDA records. The subfield $4 or $e should remain in the
corresponding bib tags (i.e. 100,110,700,710, etc.). The linking code
needs new values to ignore the $4 and $e so that the authority is
matched then linked, while the $4 or $e remains on the bib side.

Here is a link to my in progress to write out some new default values
for Evergreen for linking authorities...

http://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=working/Evergreen.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/user/ysuarez/berklee_proposed_authority_config_changes

Here is a direct link to my changes to the file:
authority_control_fields.pl.in this script file is resonsible for
batch linking of authoirites...

http://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=working/Evergreen.git;a=blob;f=Open-ILS/src/support-scripts/authority_control_fields.pl.in;h=50d63437e7ce14817bc069e5e970d5675243130d;hb=766267555f0f86cc233049c9e5758943d649cf6a#l121

If you compare it to the original version of that file here....

http://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=working/Evergreen.git;a=blob;f=Open-ILS/src/support-scripts/authority_control_fields.pl.in#l121

You will see my version takes out both subfield $4 and $e. Also you
may note that I added linking entries for bib tags 800, 810, and 811
that were not listed originally. Therefore, when running batch linking
these bib tags were ignored for linking.

I still need to share the changes that have to be made to the "seed"
values of an Evergreen DB table called
authority.control_set_authority_field, that also has a part in how
authorities are controlled. At berklee we found that the subfields
listed on this table needed updating too. Stay tuned for that proposed
change.

Hope this helps,
Yamil

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 10:12 AM, Bryan Baldus
<bryan.baldus at quality-books.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, June 18, 2015 8:48 AM, Elaine wrote:
>>I'm going to give a qualified yes. However, the relator code (|e) is valid in authority records under RDA rules so it could be legitimate for some names. I have not under gone NACO training for creating authorities yet but can ask advice of someone that has if needed. See http://www.loc.gov/marc/authority/ad100.html
>
>  I can't think of any reason why $e would appear in an authority record; certainly not as part of an authorized heading (1xx), at least as authority work is currently done (in NACO).  PCC is still working on guidelines [1], with an example saying not to include $e: Guideline 3: "When constructing authorized access points for works and expressions, do not include a relationship designator as part of the access point. ".
>

> [1] (draft version, I believe): http://www.loc.gov/aba/pcc/rda/PCC%20RDA%20guidelines/Relat-Desig-Guidelines-AUTH-Final.docx
>
> I hope this helps,
>
> Bryan Baldus
> Senior Cataloger
> Quality Books Inc.
> The Best of America's Independent Presses
> 1-800-323-4241x402
> bryan.baldus at quality-books.com

Yamil Suarez, MCS
Library System Administrator/Developer