[Evergreen-catalogers] Evergreen Acquistions vs some other method

Rogan Hamby rogan.hamby at yclibrary.net
Thu Nov 5 14:22:59 EST 2015

We are just starting to use Acquisitions and have our first batch of orders
in right now.  I can say it was quick a steep slope to climb but it's
started to level out for us dramatically.  We are using all of acquisitions
in terms of major functions - ordering through EDI, tracking funds,
creating copies, etc... though I'm sure there are some specific things we
don't use.

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 1:35 PM, Mary Llewellyn <mllewell at biblio.org> wrote:

> Hi Sharon,
>

> In our consortium, we have 21 libraries currently using the Evergreen
> acquisitions module.  They are all uploading vendor order records to
> populate their purchase orders and create “on order” items visible in the
> catalog for patrons to be able to place holds. Most of them don’t care
> about the fund tracking portion of the module, to the extent that many
> don’t bother to invoice, and a few don’t even bother to receive the items.
> Since we provide centralized cataloging, my department replaces the brief
> acq bib records with fuller OCLC records, so that saves our librarians from
> having to ask us for cataloging as often.  There may be some back-and-forth
> when the OCLC record itself isn’t very full, so we have to ask our
> librarians for further information and photocopies from the items to flesh
> the records out when the items are delivered to the libraries.  With the
> acq items already created by activating the purchase order, the catalogers
> just have to edit the items for circulation purposes instead of having to
> search the catalog, determine if the bib record matches their item, and
> create a new volume/copy record.
>

> I don’t know what the non-acq using libraries are doing. They are not
> using any other software for orders. My guess is they mostly order from
> Baker & Taylor and place their orders on Title Source.
>

> To question #3, I think many are using Excel to track their spending on a
> spreadsheet.
>

> I hope this helps.
>

> Mary
>

> Mary Llewellyn
>
> Database Manager
>
> Bibliomation, Inc.
>
> 24 Wooster Ave.
>
> Waterbury, CT 06708
>
> mllewell at biblio.org

Rogan Hamby, MLS, CCNP, MIA
Managers Headquarters Library and Reference Services,
York County Library System

“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit
me.”
― C.S. Lewis <http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1069006.C_S_Lewis>