[Evergreen-catalogers] Authorities question

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Fri Oct 16 14:14:27 EDT 2015

Mary,

We have partially implemented authorities - we have a vendor that updates
our records and headings and we run scripts to link headings to authority
records. However, I have not fully researched all the functionality and
have not had a chance to add requests to Launchpad bugs. Also, we rarely
manually edit or delete authority records from the AF. Our vendor does
this via batch, somehow. I am not directly involved in authorities
processing so I don't know all the magic behind it.

I would expect, if an authority record is manually deleted that has linked
bib records, the system warn you, allowing you to halt the deletion. If it
does delete, whether it generates an error message or not, it should
de-link the bib records so that they are not linked to a deleted AF
record.

I would not expect the system to retain links to a deleted authority
record and would consider that a problem. Especially if it prevents a link
to a replacement record.

Elaine

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES & Collaborative Projects Manager