[Evergreen-catalogers] Authority record match sets

Jane Sandberg sandbej at linnbenton.edu
Wed Aug 10 13:40:40 EDT 2016

Hi colleagues,

I'm running into a limitation with authority record match sets, and I
am wondering if anybody has any tips or ideas that might help me get
past that.

Currently, how we handle authorities:

1) When copy cataloging, we click the Validate button.
2) For any headings not in our authority file, we create a brief local
authority record with Subj = "L"
3) When I feel pretty motivated, I search the appropriate authority
file, download a MARC file, upload it into Evergreen, and manually
merge it with the existing record.

Needless to say, I only do step 3) when I really want to procrastinate
on some other project. :-)

What I'd prefer to do is the following:
1) Same as above
2) Same as above
3) Another staff member does the searching of authority files and
downloads the MARC file to a shared folder.
4) I concatenate all the downloaded MARC files into a single file.
5) I upload that single file to Evergreen using a match set / overlay
profile that replaces the local authorities with the new, official
ones.

The problem is in creating a match set.  My match set options in 2.9
include "Normalized Authority Heading", which sounds great.  However,
this normalized authority heading also includes the letter-code of the
thesaurus, to prevent potentially terrible matching of the wrong
thesaurus.

However, in this case, I do want to allow cross-thesaurus matches
(e.g. the sweet new MeSH authority records I get with the thesaurus
code "c" should overlay the brief records with thesaurus code "L").

Any ideas on how I might make this work?

Thanks for your wisdom and support,

  -Jane

--
Jane Sandberg