[Evergreen-catalogers] Best record choice during ordering process

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Thu Jul 21 09:55:17 EDT 2016

Hi Linda,

I just re-read your message and noticed that you were asking about

While my previous e-mail is true for acquisitions record loading as
well, I also wanted to point out that in acquisitions, we always use the
match-only merge profile, which does not overlay existing records,
rather than going through this more complicated process of evaluating
record quality.

Generally, we find that vendor records uploaded during ordering are
going to either be worse or the same quality as the ones already in the
database. If it matches an existing record, then, we only want to add
the holdings information, not overlay any of the bib fields.

Kathy

On 07/20/2016 05:17 PM, LARL Technical Services wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am wondering if anyone could tell me how to ensure the best record
> is kept/chosen during the overlay process when ordering.
> Today I had a brief record in my order which overlaid a much better
> permanent record already in the catalog when I activated my order.
> This surprised me as I thought the system was set up to choose the
> better of the two records and keep it.  In looking at the settings I
> have selected in the upload to queue screen, I see "Best/single match
> minimum quality ratio __ New record quality/quality of best match"
> which I have not been using.  Is this where I would instruct the
> system to keep the permanent higher quality record instead of the
> temporary one in my order? I am also not sure what the "insufficient
> quality fall through profile" does but was told not to use this when
> we received our training in Evergreen.
>
> Of course, if I am aware of a permanent record in the catalog which I
> would like to keep, I usually order from/on that record.  But as we
> are a consortium using different ordering processes, occasionally I am
> not aware that a record already exists in the catalog as was the case
> today.
>
> Thank you for any advice you can give on this matter,
> Linda VanderMeulen
> --
> Linda VanderMeulen
> Lake Agassiz Regional Library