[Evergreen-catalogers] Duplicate OCLC Control Numbers question

Sharon Douglas douglass at exchange.larl.org
Tue Jun 21 15:54:38 EDT 2016

Hello Everyone,

We are exploring the idea of allowing duplicate OCLC control numbers and I'd like to hear your thoughts on this idea.

As a small consortium of small public libraries, we keep magazine issues broken into yearly piles to help customers quickly find the yearly issues they are most concerned about.
Example: Midwest Living 2011-2014, Midwest Living 2015, Midwest Living 2016
The oldest title record has the OCLC control number in it, and the newer titles do not.

Our previous ILS required unique OCLC control numbers, but I'm not finding a compelling reason to continue this practice in the Evergreen ILS.

What are your thoughts on allowing duplicate OCLC control numbers?

Sharon Douglas - Automation Coordinator for Lake Agassiz Regional Library
118 5th St S * Moorhead, MN 56560 * 218-233-3757 ext 138 - douglass at exchange.larl.org