[Evergreen-catalogers] Duplicate OCLC Control Numbers question

Elaine Hardy ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Wed Jun 22 18:27:54 EDT 2016

Why do you need separate records for this? I would have one record with
call numbers for the organizational scheme. Also implementing the
monographic parts functionality would create volume blocks that would make
holds easier (if you allow holds on magazines.

Having duplicate records in a consortial database is not a good idea since
it can create too many records for patrons to navigate. It also can have a
negative impact on holds and other functionality.

I would merge those records and have the classification scheme direct the
patrons to the pile for the correct year. You could have either all issues
for one year have the same call number an essentially look like multiple
copies or you could assign a call number like Midwest Living 2016a,   or
Midwest Living 2015-1 and have distinct call numbers per issue.

The only time I would have multiple records for a serial is if it needed it
for title changes.

I particularly would not have multiple records with the same OCLC control
number. Any batch processing with OCLC (like setting holdings for your
consortia members or having the update service where they update records
when changes are made to them) you do or might do might have negative
consequences.

Also, if you should add consortia members, migrations would be more
difficult.

Elaine

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES & Collaborative Projects Manager