[Evergreen-catalogers] Display of library names in holdings view

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Thu Dec 14 11:10:16 EST 2017

Hi all,

Bill Erickson recently submitted some code to change the display of
owning library in the record's holdings view to the shortname instead of
the library's full name. I and some others from IRC think this is a good
idea for a couple of reasons:

- The space for displaying fields in the grid is more limited than it
was in the old client. Once you use the column picker to add fields to
this grid, the name of the system/library can get truncated, making it
difficult to view which branch it belongs to. Any effort to free up
space in these grids is a good thing.

- Shortnames are used elsewhere in the client. I don't know we have
traditionally displayed the full library names in this interface, but
changing it to shortnames makes it consistent with other web client
interfaces.

Although these are very good reasons, I'm not a cataloger and use this
interface in testing. You all are using this interface on a daily basis.
I thought it might be a good idea to run this one by the list before
merging the code into the core software.

I've attached two screenshots showing this interface with and without
the new code. In these screenshots, I added several fields to the
holdings view grid to better illustrate how this truncation issue can arise.

Thanks!
Kathy

--
Kathy Lussier