[Evergreen-catalogers] RDA search formats

Rogan Hamby rhamby at equinoxinitiative.org
Wed Nov 8 09:17:05 EST 2017

Good morning.

I've started looking at how we can resolve RDA 336/337/338 tags for search
formats.  There has already been community discussion here:

The good news is that we (the Evergreen 'we') already have that data pulled
into the database so the next step is to use it.

Before the code is written though I think there are some points for the
larger community.  The big picture questions are - What combinations should
map to existing search formats and which might need new ones?  Also, a
logistic question - When new ones are needed where will the icons come
from?  (I can probably make them if need be.)

Additionally, a working practice question.  My instinct (and I think that
of many) is to say the code should basically check to see if there are RDA
values and if so use those and fall back to AACR2.  Are there scenarios in
practice when both should be used?  Following that up, if they do exist are
these common enough / follow standards to any degree that we should worry
about them or are they edge cases?

Rogan Hamby

Data and Project Analyst

Equinox Open Library Initiative