[Evergreen-catalogers] Should spaces be added to call numbers between subfields $a and $b?

Jane Sandberg sandbej at linnbenton.edu
Wed Sep 6 20:01:01 EDT 2017

Hi catalogers,

I wanted to get your input on the following discussion:

Specifically, would you prefer that, when you are creating a new
volume and Evergreen suggests a call number, it:
a) adds a space between the data it gets from subfields $a and $b from
the 050/080/082 field?
b) does not add such a space (current behavior).

As a library that uses LC Classification, we'd prefer adding a space
there, since LC call numbers get long and unreadable without it (and
because Evergreen's normalizer expects a space).  I haven't seen too
many 080 or 082 fields that even use a $b, but I've only taken a
cursory glance.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,

  -Jane