[Evergreen-catalogers] Should spaces be added to call numbers between subfields $a and $b?

Elisabeth Keppler keppleep at forsyth.cc
Thu Sep 7 07:54:50 EDT 2017

Jane, are you referring to the 080 and 082 tags only?  For other tags such
as 028, 100, 245, 264, 300, a space before $b would cause some of us real
problems.  Like almost all public libraries, we use Dewey Classification,
so unreadable call numbers aren't exactly an issue.  Would putting the
entire LC call number in the $a subfield and simply inserting spaces where
you want them work?

Thanks,
Lise

--