[Evergreen-catalogers] MARC Batch Edit questions

Willis, Beth willis at noblenet.org
Fri Sep 22 09:06:53 EDT 2017

Hi Jane,

I have not used MARC Batch Edit much.  When I first tried to work with it I
found it confusing, so I have relied upon MARCEdit for editing bib
records.  However, your e-mail prompted me to go back and look at it again.

As far as I can tell, you DO have to include a value in the MARC tag when
adding a new MARC field to bib records.   So, for example, to add a new
MARC 650 field, I find that the following does NOT work.  Note that the
instruction in the 905 field is empty.

[image: Inline image 1]

The following DOES add a new MARC field to my bib records.

[image: Inline image 2]

If you include a value for Subfields I have found that a new MARC field is
NOT added.  Rather, a new subdivision is added to any existing fields with
that same MARC tag.  This seems to be the case regardless of what subfield
is used.

So, the following will add the subdivision "United States" to all of the
existing 650 fields.

[image: Inline image 1]

I must be missing something obvious here because, for the life of me, I
cannot figure out how to add a NEW MARC field if a field with the same tag
already exists in the record.

I have not used the Replace function at all, so I cannot comment on that
right now.

Thanks for working on this!