[Evergreen-catalogers] Fwd: Omnibus cataloging bug fixes and transferring items

Andrea Buntz Neiman abneiman at equinoxinitiative.org
Tue Aug 28 15:54:03 EDT 2018

Hi Janet,

I looked into this a bit more and my testing on a 3.1.4 system shows that I
was able to transfer just items, or items & volumes, with no problem.
Transferring items will move the item to a new volume (which will change
the owning location and the call number, if those differ in the new
volume).  Transferring volumes will retain call number information, and
also transfer all items "owned" by that volume.  Marking a transfer
destination is context-aware, so you mark the destination the same
regardless of whether you transfer just items or items/volumes together --
the difference is which option you select next, whether it's "Transfer
Volumes to Previously Marked Destination" or "Transfer Items to Previously
Marked Destination".

Not to confuse things further, but in the web client there is also an
option to mark a record as a Holdings Transfer destination and this is
available in the "Mark For" dropdown in the upper right of the bib record.
If you use this, Transfer Items will move an item to the new bib and
duplicate the volume to the new bib -- leaving other items on the original
bib under the original volume, and creating the duplicate volume & the
transferred item on the new bib.  Using Transfer Volumes will move the
Volume and all of its owned items to the new bib.

It's a little different than XUL, and I am working on updating the
community documentation to hopefully make this more clear.

However, as you noted in your original email, transfer options in Item
status should read the same as in Holdings View.  This was an oversight and
I've filed a bug to update this here:

Of course, if you think any of this can be further changed/improved, please
file a bug report!

Best,
Andrea