[Evergreen-catalogers] Hotkeys in the web client

Miller, Jeremy Jeremy.Miller at cityofalbany.net
Thu May 10 19:21:22 EDT 2018

There’s another issue with hotkeys in the web client, that I’ve been meaning to bring up.

Currently our RFID interface (Bibliotheca) relies on various hotkeys to switch modes… that’s how it knows whether to write security on or off, or just send data, and so on.

We have a standard toolbar that we use at all circulation workstations, with a set of hotkeys to match.  The function keys (F1-F12) correspond directly to the buttons in the toolbar of the XUL client… staff do not click the buttons for most tasks, they use the function keys instead.  The RFID reader is looking for those same function keys, and switches to the correct mode.

It is possible for the RFID program to scrape window titles instead, but the window titles in both the XUL and web client are not specific enough, at least not currently.

Two of the systems in our consortium will not be able to move to the web client until a resolution for this problem is found.

Jeremiah Miller  | 541-917-7597
Sysadmin | Albany Public Library