[Evergreen-catalogers] Overlay/merge profiles for record merges and Z39.50 overlays

Jennifer Weston Jennifer.Weston at DavidsonCountyNC.gov
Fri Apr 26 09:30:22 EDT 2019

?Thank you for sharing, Mary!  This kind of specific example of how to make a workflow more effective is always helpful. I will post this information to the cataloging wiki.

?(sent from a mobile app)

Jennifer Weston, MLIS
Davidson County Public Library
Technical Services Manager
________________________________
From: Evergreen-catalogers <evergreen-catalogers-bounces at list.evergreen-ils.org> on behalf of Mary Llewellyn <mllewell at biblio.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2019 9:43 AM
To: Evergreen Community Catalogers
Subject: [Evergreen-catalogers] Overlay/merge profiles for record merges and Z39.50 overlays

CAUTION External email. Do not click links or open attachments unless verified.
Hi all,

I was asked at the Catalogers' Interest Group meeting to share our Overlay/Merge profile for the web client that allows us to
1.copy an ISBN or UPC from one record to another during a merge (use case: merging a Paw Prints binding record with the paperback record and copying the Paw Prints ISBN to the final version of the merged record), and

2. allows us to preserve an ISBN or UPC in a local catalog record when overlaying it with a record from OCLC (use case: we allow ISBNs for individual years for a serial title for acquisitions purposes, which we don't want to lose if we overlay it with a more recent version of the record from OCLC).

The setting is set up under Marc Batch Import/Export/ Merge/Overlay Profiles.

[image.png]

The fields that drive this are

Replace specification:  901c (record ID)
Add specification: 020, 024 (or  other tags you want to keep/merge)
I hope someone finds this to be helpful.

Mary

--
Mary Llewellyn
Database Manager

If you are not the intended recipient, you must destroy this message and inform the sender immediately. This electronic mail message and any attachments, as well as any electronic mail message(s) sent in response to it may be considered public record and as such subject to request and review by anyone at any time. It also may contain information which is confidential within the meaning of applicable federal and state laws.

Davidson County Government, PO Box 1067, Lexington, NC, USA, www.co.davidson.nc.us