[Evergreen-catalogers] Vox books and Wonderbooks

Janet Schrader jschrader at cwmars.org
Mon Aug 19 17:53:52 EDT 2019

Hi Elaine,

Playaways also started out strong and then sort of disappeared. I believe
they're coming back now as newer cars no longer have CD players. We're also
cataloging more MP3 CDs.

Yes, the 'q' in the 006 causes problems as it makes all the Wonderbooks
cataloged as books into e-books. I've been removing it so at some point
down the road someone may need to re-insert it, just hope that someone
isn't me. There should be a way for the filter to make a distinction
between the code in an 008 field and one in an 006 field. There should also
be a way to use the 006 field for additional format icons. Or, maybe we're
looking at this in the wrong way and should be taking advantage of the 3xx
fields to create the format icons as I thought that was their purpose in
the first place.

While Wonderbooks are cataloged as books with an audio component, it seems
Vox books are not as consistent being cataloged as books + audio narration
and spoken sound recordings. If there was a 347 field with $b audio-enabled
book, then we could have a format limiter for "Audio-enabled book". That is
preferable to "Digital Media Player" which is what we use for Playaways.
While the concept is the same, neither Vox books nor Wonderbooks are the
same as Playaways. Our icon for Digital Media Player is basically a
Playaway. I'm not sure where we got it.
[image: image.png]

I like the example you show for a Wonderbook record. The problem I have
with it is this field:

347  audio file ǂb MP3 ǂ2 rda
I wouldn't be able to include $b MP3 as I want to use that for MP3 CD
audiobooks. I would make my 347 fields:

347  audio file ǂ2 rda

347  ǂb audio-enabled book

It would be really great if book and sound recording AND audio-enabled book
could display.
I read in some of that documentation in the links you sent that
multiple 347 fields should be used and that the 347$b is not RDA, including
it with the $a audio file makes it look like it's from an RDA list of terms.

Janet

Janet Schrader

Bibliographic Services Supervisor | CW MARS

67 Millbrook Street, Suite 201, Worcester, MA 01606

P: 508-755-3323 x 325 | F: 508-757-7801

jschrader at cwmars.org  ||  http;//cwmars.org <http://www.cwmars.org/>