[Evergreen-catalogers] Inventory in Evergreen

Sarah Childs sarahc at zionsvillelibrary.org
Wed Feb 6 13:06:41 EST 2019

We're in the process of doing an inventory using the new inventory date
field.  Here is our process for the actual inventory.  (We created a map of
the library and numbered each shelving unit)

1.       Determine which collection and section you will be working on
using the Inventory Maps. Most sections are one rank of shelves. Each
section is numbered on the map and on the shelving unit.

2.       Take a laptop and scanner on a cart to that section.

3.       Log-in to the Evergreen Web client.

4.       Open Check-In.

5.       From the Column Picker, make sure Barcode, Circulation Modifier,
Location, Call Number, Title, Author, and Inventory Date are selected.

6.       Make sure a red bar appears at the top of the screen that says
“Update Inventory.” If not, turn it on by selecting “Update Inventory” from
the Check-in Modifiers menu on the lower right.

7.       Systematically scan every item in your section. Make sure to watch
the screen to determine that the item has been scanned.  It’s easiest to
confirm that the barcode you are scanning has appeared in barcode column.
Limit how many items you scan before you clear the screen to the number
displayed on the screen. The max is 100.  When you have scanned a full
shelf, or that number, check the screen for any items with different
shelving locations or circ modifiers. Pull those and put them on the
problem cart.

8.       If an item is mis-shelved and belongs in the section you are
scanning, or the section on either side, you can re- shelve it correctly.
If it belongs elsewhere, put it on the problem cart.

9.       If you get an alert that says the item was mis-scanned or is not
cataloged, determine if the item was scanned properly. If yes, then place
on the cart for technical services.  If you get any other alerts, including
holds and transits, also place the item on the cart.  When you are finished
inventorying, take the holds to the appropriate circ desk, and transits to
the 1st floor circ desk.

10.   Record the collection sections you completed by entering your name
and the date in the Scanning Section of the Project Tracking Page of the
appropriate Inventory Google Sheet. Do not do a partial section. If you
cannot complete a section in your allotted time, do not start the section.

Here's what we do with the items from the cart:

1.       Scan all the items from the inventory problem cart into Item
Status in the Evergreen web client. Make sure to include the Inventory date
in the column picker.

2.       Determine why the item has been placed on the cart and sort the
items accordingly.

3.       Export the Data from item status and save it to the Problem Item
Spreadsheet in the Inventory Folder on Google Drive.

4.       Enter the Item information for the Not In Catalog items on the
spreadsheet. Add a column to the file for the reason the item was on the
cart: Damaged

·         Incorrect spine label or stickers

·         Incorrect shelving location and/or circ modifier

·         Unknown/mis-shelved

·         In Transit

·         On holds shelf

·         Not in catalog

·         Other

5.       Inventory any items which do not have an inventory date.

6.       Give any In transit and On hold shelf items to Circulation so that
the holds can be filled.

7.       Return mis-shelved/unknown items to circulation to be re-shelved

8.       Review damaged, uncataloged, mis-cataloged, or mis-labeled items
and correct or discard, as appropriate.

When we've completed inventorying a shelving location, we run a report for
that location similar to what Terran described.  We haven't written a
formal procedure yet for how to deal with the report, but we're going back
and checking the shelves again for anything that is Available that hasn't
been inventoried, inventorying those we find, and marking the ones we don't
find missing.

Sarah Childs
Technical Services Department Head
Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library