[Evergreen-catalogers] Monograph Parts in the new Angular catalog

Carissa Malmgren CMalmgren at roanoketexas.com
Mon Oct 14 21:30:39 EDT 2019

Thank you, Jane!

Those are questions I'd love to see discussed as I'm also not sure how best to answer.

In NTLC, each library has different ways of breaking bib items into monograph parts for circulation, so for something like Game of Thrones season 1, we've got Parts for each of the ways the season has been split ("Discs 1 & 2", "Discs 3 & 4", "Disc 1", etc.), along with a Part for the whole season ("Discs 1-5") so that it's as clear as possible to anyone checking the OPAC what exactly is included in the DVD case. For us, once a bib record has monograph parts for one library's holdings, it makes sense for everyone's holdings to be described with monograph parts, whether or not the holdings are split up. With that in mind, I would think that the "12 of 12 parts" language would kick in as soon as there is an item associated with a part, but that not all items need to be associated with parts.

I'm also wondering how multiple parts of multiple copies would be described (and identified for description). "12 parts of 1 copy", "13 parts of 5 copies"? Or is that more confusing than it is helpful?

Thanks!

Carissa Malmgren
Cataloger
Roanoke Public Library